Dynamic Shear Rheometer (DSR)
- DSR test is conducted on a thin asphalt bituminous binder sample, sandwiched between two circular plates. The test is conducted on the original (Unaged), Short term aged (RTFOT) and long term aged (PAV) bituminous binder samples.
- Adopted standard test protocol – ASTM D7175
- The test measures the binder’s resistance to deformation when repeatedly sheared (complex shear modulus (G*)) and the elasticity (phase angle).
Bending Beam Rheometer (BBR)
- The BBR test is conducted on a bituminous beam at cold temperatures with the aim to simulate the winter/cold temperatures experienced within the pavement.
- Adopted standard test protocol – ASTM D6648
- The test is conducted on a long term aged (PAV) bituminous binder beam immersed in a cold liquid bath and is subjected to constant load applied to the midpoint. The test provides an indication of the flexural creep stiffness (S value), and the slope of the master stiffness curve / thermal stress relaxation (m-value) at 60 seconds.